Thursday, February 3, 2011

choices

seriously, I want to be happy with whatever I do in life. I'm still young and my dreams are still achievable. I've dreamed of writing since I was 6 years old, journalism was as close as I would ever get to an actual paying job in the field. I discovered that you have to be emotionless to be a journalist which is almost completely impossible for me. Journalism is all about covering the hard-core facts and reporting the truth, nothing creative about it. It's hard to simply turn away from writing since I've come so far. My parents are upset with my decision to not become a full-time working journalist. I'm tryingg to get the point across it's not what I want or see myself doing, and not only that..the employment rate is shit right now for journalists and it's VERY competitive to get a job. I would much rather freelance, at least I would keep up with my writing. Now, my other goal which my parents are upset with me doing is child & youth worker. I've always wanted to make a difference in a childs life, maybe even travel to 3rd world countries. But of course...1 day at a time. So, it's a 3 year bach. program and my parents think I am just wasting my time and money seeing as I have my journalism degree and should just work as that. They really don't "understand" my decison. Three years isn't so bad right? I really can't turn away from another passion I am good at.,..helping teenagers & children. I just am having second thoughts about all of this..I hope it's possible to attain 2 jobs? Freelancing shouldn't take entirely too much of my time...writing is always apart of me. I just hope I am making the right choice. We are told to follow our hearts but, it's hard to say what mine feels because it is in 2 different places. To do or not to do that is the question!

No comments:

Post a Comment